The storm water requirements of the federal Clean Water Act are administered under the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer (MS4) Program. In December 2002, DEP issued a General Permit requiring the implementation of a storm water management program for minimizing the impacts from runoff.
Under the MS4 Program, permittees are required to incorporate the following six elements into their storm water management programs:
- Public education and outreach
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site runoff control
- Post-construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations and maintenance
Each person can help Economy Borough protect water and other natural resources by reporting possible or suspected incidents of illicit discharges to storm sewers or other stormwater conveyances. Examples of discharges are sewage, chemicals, oils, paints or similar products. You can report these by contacting the Borough Manager at – 724-869-4779 Ext 1, or by using the form Illicit Discharge Complaint Form and email the form by clicking here.
EPA Municipal Stormwater (MS4)